Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Welcome to the "Bess Nature Sancturary"

I'm starting to believe thats the best way to classify our backyard at the moment.  Over the last week, while taking my evening run/walk on the back part of our property, I have encoutered a groundhog, a black snake, a bunny (tiny bunny, to be exact), and a deer.  Keep in mind our basement had it's very own corn snake. 

(Ugh...think of nice things...nice things...)

Oh look -- here's tiny bunny.  Much better.  :)



As I type this, I'm watching a killdeer sitting on the nest she made in the driveway behind the house.  I didn't really even know what a killdeer was until Mike told me about the nest yesterday.  Now I'm fascinated.  For instance, they build nests on the ground...often in gravel, because the eggs blend in.  And the parents will fake a broken wing to draw a predator's attention away from the nest (that's how Mike realized there was one nearby).  And the hatchlings are cute because they're eyes are already open and they're fuzzy...not like those creepy robin babies.  

Killdeer Nest

Mike put bricks close to the nest so we wouldn't step on it or drive over it.  I really can't have that on my conscience. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, you have taught me something new Mrs. Bess... you must be missing the classroom!!! LOL

Didn't know about the killdeer. ve-wy inte-westing.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

ok mike is just sooooooooooooooo sweet for doing that...and i loveeeeeeee the little bunny! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Deana said...

Thank you for NOT posting a photo of the snake. And if that were MY basement... the house would be put up for sale, contents included (AFTER I ran screaming out of the house like a mad woman)....

:-(

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Wow, I've never heard of Killdeers either! Gravel doesn't seem like a great place to build nests, though - it seems like they would be safer up in a tree! Nate saw a robin faking a broken wing on his way home from work today, so we must have a nest somewhere nearby. I love baby birds!

sarah said...

it's like an animal exhibit over there are the bess house! hehe. :)

hugs,
sarah.