Thursday, June 17, 2010

I like summer (cooking edition)

One of the things that I really enjoy about being off in the summer is the chance to try out new recipes.  Yes, I can do this the rest of the year.  But really, I don't feel motivated to do so.  But summer...I feel like I have plenty of time to try new things...and plenty of time to exercise off my experiments.  :) 

My favorite food blog (actually, the only food blog I read) is Emma Chapman's From Scratch.  Emma finds all these great recipes and tweaks them to suit her.  I decided to try a few of her recipes, and true to her form, I tweaked them to suit me.  The first one I tried was the Apple Galettes.  Obviously, the pic below is not of apples. :)  Instead I used some of the black raspberries from last week's orchard trip  Very yummy, although I probably didn't use enough sugar.   

Blackberry Tarts


And yesterday, for Mike's birthday, I made blueberry pancakes using her buttermilk pancake recipe.  I didn't use quite as much buttermilk (maybe half the amount she used), and added a little 2% milk to the mix.  And of course, blueberries (which were also from the orchard trip).  I don't think I've ever made pancakes from scratch, but it was so easy.  I don't think I'll need to buy the mix again. 


I think tomorrow I'll try lentil burgers.  Have a great Friday everyone!

3 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

YUMMY!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):) And thanks for thinking I'm CUTE! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

chris a said...

the galettes look so yummy - I make a large one that feeds four - recipe from the Barefoot Contessa. Have a yummy week!!!!!

Hanneke said...

Hope you gad a great day yesterday, congrats Mike!!!

And wow Bekka that all just looks YUMMY!!!