Saturday, April 10, 2010

What I've been reading...

Funny, I'm not an avid reader.  When I get into a book, it's great...but really, it takes a lot to get me to that point.  (Yes, it took a few attempts for me to even find the desire to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.)  I really should make more time for books than I do.  So it's kind of surprising that I currently have enough reading material to constitute a list! 


An example of one of those books I read, but forget about, even though I was enjoying it.  1) It's a quick read...I would have had it finished weeks ago if I hadn't stuck it in my backpack and forgotten about it.  I kind of like Steve Martin's style...he is a man of many talents (including banjo-player...who knew?) 



I don't read comic books.  I am not into the current zombie-craze.  Then why on earth am I reading a comic book series about a zombie invasion of apocalyptic proportions?  I actually heard about this one on the local news, as AMC recently announced the development of the story the television series. As it turns out, the creator/author of this series is from my town.  Not only that, but the book starts here as well.  One would think it would be very easy to find this series at the local library, no?  Actually, no.  My local library does not carry it.  (This could lead me into a long rant about the atrocities of this particular library...how you're made to feel like you're being a huge bother if you dare disturb the librarian at the front desk to check out a book.  Or how an author with multiple books of a similar nature is scattered throughout a variety of sections.  Or how it's more "video rental" than actual library.  But I shall save that rant for another day.)  One library in the surrounding area has the volumes (the volumes are released six issues at a time).  Mike and I tore through the first five volumes, and are not so patiently waiting to someone to return volume six.  Funny, the zombies are neither the focus, nor the truly scary part.  The unpredictable actions of the survivors make this a compelling read.




Oh yes, this list includes non-fiction.  Historical non-fiction, at that.  Goodness  knows we have a lot of that sitting around the house, what with Mike being an awesome history teacher and all.  I guess it was inevitable that I would eventually break down and read something of his.  Is it bad to admit that tv made me want to read this?  We've been watching The Tudors recently, and I'm finding the history all soap opera-y and fascinating.  And The Six Wives of Henry VIII is a surprisingly interesting read.  My reading of it has been kind of scattered -- I'm skipping around and not reading cover-to-cover, but I think that's okay.  By the way, Jonathan Rhys Meyers looks nothing like 300 lb. Henry.  Just saying.  :)

I'd love to know what you're reading. With summer break just around the corner, I'm in need of some recommendations.

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

In June (June 5th to be exact...lol!) I will be reading this....The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella...the latest novel from Mrs. Meyer....*sigh* I can not wait! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Georgia Visacri said...

I think the 6 wives book look interesting, Bekka, I may give this one a try, thanks!!
It's been a while since I read a very interesting book, honestly, I can't find anything I'd like to read :(
Have a GREAT week!!

Hanneke said...

I looove reading!!! I just finished a Nicci Gerard I believe the English title is The winter house (i am not shure) and I love it but than again I love English novels!!!

Amy said...

i love reading too. shopgirl is a great movie... i haven't read the book. i just read " the last song" and it was really good, probably about 8/10 on my scale. i really want to see the movie now :)

i'm reading "the girl with the dragon tattoo" but i'm on page 200 and can'tttt get into it. i hope it gets better because i refuse to stop midway through. :(

have you read any of thsoe?