Monday, April 5, 2010

I've been spending lots of time here...getting ready...

On April 17th, I will be taking a step toward meeting one of my 2010 goals...run a 10K.  I guess a great place to start would be a 5K, right?  This will be my first 5K of the year, and the running bug is starting to bite.  I thought I'd love my zest for running last year...when we moved out of town, I hated the idea of driving across town just to go for a run -- I was very spoiled by being able to walk out the front door and run down the street. But, last summer Mike finished his mountain bike trail in the backyard, and it's the perfect place to run.  (I was too out of the habit to start back in earnest last year.)  Once the weather became all nice and springy, I started getting back into it.  I'm still not where I would like to be (which is able to run 3.1 miles without stopping), but I can tell a huge change in my endurance in a very short amount of time.  That's one of my favorite things about running. 

I thought I'd take an opportunity to share Mike's backyard creation.  He's very proud of it, and it's really quite impressive.  Our back yard is a few acres of pasture...when we bought the house, the neighbors started asking what we planned on doing with it.  Everyone around us has cows...Mike was hesitiant to say "ride bikes".  But I think we're putting it to good use. 




And over the weekend I made my own contribution.  There's one spot on the trail that stays muddy all the time.  Seriously , the pond will dry up before this spot will (although the pond has a leak...but anyway...).  So Mike and I gathered some rocks we'd been meaning to move off the trail anyway, and I made this little stone path over the muddy spot.



Yesterday, Mike brought out the bike for the first time this year and got some use out of the trail. 



Oh, and I saw bunnies during our walk Saturday evening.  I love it here!  :)

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

ok...i want your backyard!! really I do!!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the photos and yayyyyyyyyyyyy for going for your goal! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

sarah said...

go girl go! :) i'm rooting for you all the way over here in california! :)

hugs,
sarah.

Jocelyn said...

You go girl...how awesome!!! How great is reaching a goal!!!

Jessica Wilson said...

I so need to run!! I love your backyard,and way to go on your goals!!! Love, Jess