Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What do you call a technology teacher without a functioning computer lab?

The title of this post is not the start of a hilarious joke.  Nor is it the start of a horrible joke (well, in a way it is).  No, just my situation today.  Thank you, McAfee, for shutting down my entire lab with your so-called virus update.  We weren't even allowed to turn the computers on.  I am not a person who gives free days, but I'm not too proud to admit that I let some kids play with LEGOs, that a permission slip or two was written for kids to go to the gym, and some random card game might have been dug up from the depths of my storage closet.  In my defense, (1) I'm usually prepared to pull out the occasional emergency assignment when the internet is down, but the thought that I wouldn't be able to access my entire computer never occurred to me; and (2) I did put a writing prompt on the board, though, once I started thinking clearly after the initial panic faded.

It is comforting to know that having absolutely nothing for my kids to do is so totally out of the norm for me that it felt like (figuratively) teaching with my hands tied behind my back.  Also, it's nice to know that I can still sort of teach with a figurative problem like that. 

3 comments:

sarah said...

sorry to hear about the situation that happened today. :(

...but you were creative and figured out ways to work around it!

go bekka go! :) hopefully everything is fixed when you get back to work tomorrow.

hugs,
sarah.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

that just bites....funny...they scheduled a 'patch' today at work that shut us all down for a restart...or *whatev*...anywho...they do it right in the middle of our day!! hello??? we are a call center...can't U do that in the middle of the night when we aren't there??? geez....anywho...hope all is back to norm tomorrow! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

mandysea said...

OH NO!!!
how frustrating!! Hope its all up and running for you by now!