Sunday, April 11, 2010

Did you miss me?

I bet you didn't even know I was gone, right?  Good.  I like slipping away undetected.  :) 

Mike and I have been away for the last few days at our church's annual couples retreat.  We spent the weekend at Cumberland Falls.  I had never been before, but it was so nice.  More about that later.  Today, I want to share the trip there.

We had to pass by one of our favorite places to get to the retreat -- Berea.  This is where Mike and I went to college.  That town just brings back so many great memories. 

We went to Berea Coffee & Tea.  I had never eaten there...it was all froofy when we were in college.  Not a college hang out at all.  The atmosphere has changed a lot -- it's hip and artsy, without all the pretension.  Plus, I think I had the best roast beef sandwich ever while I was there. 



After lunch, we walked down to Robie and Robie, a really great used book store.  Mike found a book on Ohio that he had been keeping an eye out for, so he was happy.  :)



I didn't take any pictures, but I have to share that we stopped by the library, which has made a drastic change for the better since the last time we were there.  And we found two copies of Volume 6 of The Walking Dead that we had been waiting for.  No library cards, since we don't live in a surrounding county, so we each sat down with our own copy to read.  (By the way, we found out at the retreat that Mike and I are both introverts...who would have guessed?) 

Then we walked around campus.  We have a gorgeous campus.  I'm so happy I went to school there.  Here's the quad:



And one of the main buildings on campus.  Also, one of the prettiest photos I've taken with my phone. 


And before we left, we walked by our spot -- the steps in front of my dorm from Jr/Sr year.  This is our spot because we had our first very, very, very awkward kiss here.  (To be fair, it was my first kiss ever and I had no idea what to do.  So I froze.)  It's also the spot where Mike proposed to me.  So, it's pretty much the happiest spot on campus. 


I'll share more of our trip tomorrow.  I'm very tired from all the travel.  Plus, we still need groceries.  And lesson plans.

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Oh looks like a great time....I love coffee shops/sandwich shops and old books stores are the BEST!!!

The College is just beautiful!!! So glad you had a great trip!!!

Have a Fabulous week!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

awwwww...first kiss and the proposal spot...loveeeeeeeeeee it! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Unknown said...

that is a gorgeous campus! Being the PR person for a college, I must say their PR person would probably love to have your phone photo to use for marketing purposes...that is an awesome shot!

Sounds like a lovely weekend!!! :)

Deana said...

Well, that's a little trivia... first kiss ever & then you married him! Looks like it was a fun weekend!

Hope you have a great week! :-)

sarah said...

looks like you both had a great time, and i'm glad! :)

can't wait to see more of those photos!

hugs,
sarah.